"Masonry and the synagogue were connected in 1793 at the laying of the corner-stone of the new synagogue of the Beth Elohim Congregation on September 14 of that year. The committee of arrangements consisted of Daniel Hart, Gershom Cohen, and Moses C. Levy. The ceremony, according to the glowing report of this committee to the vestry, "was conducted by the rules and regulations of the ancient and honorable fraternity of Freemasons." ... The eight marble stones were laid by the following members of the congregation: Israel Joseph, Philip Hart, Lyon Moses, Isaac Moses, Emanuel Abrahams, Mark Tongues, Hart Moses, and Abraham Moses, all of whom, judging from the account, and in the absence of Masonic records of the time, may have been Masons."
Oppenheim, Samuel. The Jews and Masonry in the United States Before 1810. New York: The American Jewish Historical Society. 1910. p.79.